Full Time Position
Preferred Start Date: July 1, 2021
The Re-Up Refill Shop is seeking a retail Store Manager. The Store Manager has a diverse array of responsibilities – in short, the Store Manager serves as the lead staff person managing Re-Up’s brick-and-mortar retail location in Oakland, CA.
ABOUT THE RE-UP REFILL SHOP:
The Re-Up Refill Shop offers ecological bath, body, food, kitchen, and cleaning products in refillable containers, reducing waste from single-use plastics. We have a brick-and-mortar location in Oakland, and we also offer a free local bicycle delivery service where customers can order online and leave out their empties on their porch on delivery day (milk-man style). We also conduct a growing amount of business through multiple wholesale channels.
We are invested in being a business that is not only good for the planet, but also for our team and the surrounding community. To that effect, we are in the process of becoming an organization where profits are shared, and income is earned equitably.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Store Manager will be responsible for a wide range of tasks including but not limited to:
- Working as the lead salesperson in the store
- Assisting customers in-store, by phone, and digitally
- Restocking and maintaining shop displays and products
- Managing and conducting regular cleaning and deep cleanings
- Helping keep an updated staff-wide task log of general shop needs, including but not limited to cleaning, backstocking, and/or restocking
- Packing orders for pickup and bike delivery orders
- Managing and maintaining staff scheduling and weekly staff communications
- Assisting in the management, hiring, and training of Sales Associates
- Helping manage some of on-site tech including but not limited to our POS (point of sales) systems and our eCommerce platform
- Assisting with delivering orders via electric bicycle (preferred but not required)
Competencies and strengths that will make one a good fit for this role include those listed
below. We are open to applicants with varying levels and types of experience, provided that the applicant displays the skills required to successfully execute the job described above. You might be a good fit if you:
- Have a consistent and strong work ethic
- Are highly organized
- Have experience working in retail on a management level
- Are people oriented
- Are a problem solver
- Have a high level of emotional maturity and strong communication skills
- Have a desire and willingness to learn new skills
- Have customer service experience
- Are in personal alignment with Re-Up’s environmental mission
The ideal candidate has a clean driving record with a valid driver’s license (preferred but not required) and is proficient in basic computer skills including Google Suite. Re-Up is a COVID-safe business that strictly follows all CDC and Alameda County Public Health guidelines. Our ideal candidate maintains and prioritizes COVID-safe practices (our whole staff is currently fully vaccinated).
This position involves being on one’s feet and standing for the large majority of shifts. The position also involves sitting, squatting, and needing to lift, carry, and pour liquids comfortably.
This is a full-time hourly position. The starting compensation is $23 per hour. Aside from the California-prescribed paid sick leave, at this time we do not offer other benefits other than an employee discount (20% off). As we grow and become more established, we hope to be able to offer benefits in the future. Additionally, we intend to implement other forms of compensation, such as profit sharing.
The Store Manager position is 32 – 40 hours weekly. The Store Manager must be able and available to work Thursday – Monday every week. It is required to be able to work weekends (though we are in process of making a new protocol so that a single individual is not required to work every weekend). A typical work day is generally 8 hours. Due to our lean staff, the Store Manager will occasionally need to work on evenings and/or more than 32 – 40 hours per week to fulfill the duties of the position.
This position is supervised by one of Re-Up’s co-founders and works collaboratively with all other team members.
6025 College Ave, Oakland, CA 94618.
We value the diversity of insight, perspective, and experience brought by people from diverse backgrounds. This includes Black, Indigenous, Latino, Asian people, LGBTQ, gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities. We affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.
Please submit a one-page cover letter, resume, and two professional references to co-founder, Peter Lollo, [email protected].
We will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis, and will keep this job posting up until the role has been filled. If you have any questions about applying, please contact [email protected].