Perdue Foods is part of Perdue Farms, a family-owned company heading into it's second century of growth and innovation. With a goal of becoming the most trusted name in premium proteins, we create products for consumers and for retail and foodservice customers around the globe, while changing the way animals are raised for food.
The overall purpose of this position, i.e., what it accomplishes at Perdue and/or why it exists is:
Make assessments and schedule to administer vaccines to flocks in the field through the use of pumps, medicators and/or sprayers as prescribed by Breeder Management to maximize bird health and performance. To provide the Area Supervisor with a weekly report with regard to bird health and/or vaccination issues.
Must have a valid Drivers License with no points. Certified copy of State Driver’s Record for the past seven (7) years required before being employed.
***This position reports to an office in DeFuniak Springs, Florida.***
High school diploma or equivalent preferred
Principal and Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Pick up vaccines and supplies as needed for daily activities and coordinate vaccine inventory and usage with the Medication Department.
- Properly handle, store, and dispose of vaccines in prescribed manner.
- Assess management and health of flock before vaccination. Following assessment, determine if flock performance would require vaccination at that time or deferred to later. Record and document findings.
- Properly mix and administer vaccines to flock in contract production houses.
- Recommend adjusting producer’s equipment as necessary to accomplish vaccination properly.
- Must be able to carry a catching pen weighing up to 40 lbs. Pen off up to 75 birds in the poultry house for bleeding purposes. Pick up 1 bird at a time weighing up to 10 lbs. by the wings. Clean up vehicle and equipment daily and follow all appropriate bio-security procedures. Perform fowl sales by tagging trailers after loading.
- Communicate with Breeder Management daily in regard to scheduling, vaccination or producer issues. Prepare and submit weekly written report on field findings.
- Extract blood from the wing of the bird using a scalpel blade to prick the exposed wing, drain blood into a vial for lab submission. Follow NPIP standards. Prepare serum and deliver to appropriate locations.
- Comply and follow company requirements regarding bio-security, food safety and poultry welfare programs and policies at all times.
- Manage company vehicle and operate in a safe manner complying will all Perdue, state and federal requirements/policies and use only for work related purposes.
- Maintain safe working environment.
Two (1) to two (2) years of previous work experience preferred.
Reading, writing and math skills preferred. Recordkeeping, scheduling and supervisory skills preferred.
Environmental Factors and Physical Requirements
Work environment includes, but not limited to, moving in an upright position and working on soil, wet, moist, dry, greasy floors which include concrete, metal and plastic grating surfaces with up to 4 hours in a single interval. Must be able to lift, control, and carry 80 lbs. Exposure to temperature ranges of <28 to 100 Fahrenheit with both ambient and 100% humidity. Exposure to noise ranges to <50 db to >100 db and light intensity range of <50 to >100 foot candles. Bending, twisting, lifting, reaching, sitting and grasping varies in repetitions, distances, degrees, angles, weights, height, intervals of time, objects grasped and body positions depending upon the task being performed. Exposure to chlorinated water <50ppm, ammonia vapors >5ppm, caustic detergents, lubricating oils, salt and other chemicals found in poultry processing. Normal exposure to chemicals listed in MSDS sheets which are available in the Live Production Office.
Perdue Farms, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.