Perdue Foods is part of Perdue Farms, a family-owned company heading into its second century of growth and innovation. With a goal of becoming the most trusted name in premium proteins, we create products for consumers and for retail and foodservice customers around the globe, while changing the way animals are raised for food.
This position is accountable to the corporate level development and implementation of fleet safety processes, for maintaining compliance with USDOT/FMCSA regulatory requirements and Perdue standards for a fleet of over 650 - 850 drivers and greater than 2000 pieces of rolling stock.
Principal and Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide technical and regulatory expertise and advisement based on knowledge of FMCSA, DOT, State, Local and other pertinent regulations to assist staff and company facilities in the solution of Fleet safety related issues. Includes oversight for maintaining the MVA accident register, MCS 150, MCS 90, D&A Clearinghouse and MIS (Management Information System) reporting requirements to the USDOT. Develop responses and action plans to USDOT interventions and safety audits as needed.
- Lead terminal / facility transportation supervisors in managing fleet safety processes to include: site visits for the purpose of developing and maintaining fleet accountabilities, developing and delivering industry related training subjects through teaching and mentoring, develop and assist with action planning for the purpose of developing corrective action,
and partnering with committees, management meetings and teams to review and develop solutions for fleet related issues, policy development, fleet publications, transportation / driver newsletters and releases and general fleet guidance.
- Coordinate and conduct various internal auditing processes to ensure compliance with both internal and external regulatory standards, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain active involvement in reducing company Auto Liability exposures by engagement in meetings, providing documentation for claims and litigation, provide expert testimony, and assist the Occ. Health Nurse/Third Party Administrator in effectively managing all open auto liability claims. Respond as needed to emergency MVA situations to include “On Site” assistance. Oversight and case management of MVAs including investigations and classifications regarding preventability and disciplines.
- Serve as a resource/consultant to staff and field management regarding the development of new capital projects to ensure that fleet safety and security standards are met. Provide impute into vehicle specifications for enhancing driver safety. Champion and/or assist corporate initiatives and campaigns for fleet safety processes and technologies/new equipment, i.e. DriveCam®, ELDs, Collision Avoidance, Cell Phone Blocking, Third Party Administrators, Consortiums, etc.
- Implement and oversee company facilities “On Site Fleet Safety Processes” as directed by the Corporate Director Fleet Safety. Maintain professional credentials essential to this position such as a CDL-A, CDT, CDS, CTP, etc. and maintain an active relationship with industry trade associations such as NPTC, ASSP (Transportation Specialty), USP&EA, ATA, and other industry related organizations for maintaining a high level of knowledge of current regulatory changes and fleet management practices.
- Bachelors degree in EHS, Law Enforcement, Fleet Mgmt. or related discipline In the absence of a degree, directly related work experience may be considered.
- 3 - 5 years related experience leading a large-scale fleet safety operation.
- Requires prior supervisory experience.
- A CDL-A is required Must obtain CSS/CDS or equivalent within 24-36 months of hire.
- Attain instructor level defensive / behavioral based driving credentials within 24 months.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook & must having willingness to learn and leverage new operating systems/technologies as deemed necessary by Perdue.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills, Strong organizational and interpersonal skills required.
- Must have good reading and writing skills.
- Requires good presentation skills. (Presentations are required to senior management & outside 3rd parties.
- 6 plus years of transportation/logistic experience
- 10 years’ experience in DOT/Transportation field
- 5 years’ prior experience in DOT/Transportation management role
- Experience with PACE or Smith System preferred
- Related professional certification such as Certified Safety Supervisor (CSS)/Certified Director Safety (CDS) and Certified Driver Trainer (CDT) or Certified Transportation Professional (CTP)
Environmental Factors and Physical Requirements
Position is mostly sedentary but may require occasional moving to other offices or buildings.
May need to move light equipment or supplies from one place to another.
May need to access files, supplies and equipment.
Work activity is in an office, open-partitioned, cubicle environment.
When in a plant environment:
Exposure primarily consists of wet and moist floors which include metal and plastic grating surfaces.
May be exposed to temperatures of 28 degrees to 100 degrees Fahrenheit with both ambient and 100% humidity.
May handle product 25 degrees to 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
May be exposed to noise ranges of 50 db to 110 db.
May be exposed to all chemicals used in poultry, food, processing facility.
Must wear and use protective and safety equipment required for the job as directed by the Company
Perdue Farms, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.