The person in this position works as a crew member to maintain, repair, and replace rails, ties, switches, and ballast. This position uses hand tools and operates heavy equipment. The position starts as a track maintainer, with an opportunity to qualify as a machine operator.
- Repair and rebuild railroad track using hydraulic or hand tools
- Remove and replace ties and rails; pull and drive spikes; shovel rock ballast; load and unload equipment and material
- Use various types of tools and equipment, including tampers, regulators, backhoes, torches, hammers, jacks, and other mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic tools
- Perform routine maintenance and troubleshoot problems on equipment
- Complete written forms and reports, including FRA reports, as required
- Be familiar with federal and state regulations as they relate to the railroad industry
- Ability to update rules and manuals to assure continuous compliance with all federal regulations
- Adhere to and promote safe work practices as determined by the railroad
- Manage other projects and perform other duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to complete written forms and reports, including FRA reports, as required
- Working knowledge of and familiarity with equipment such as tampers, regulators, torches, hammers, jacks, and other mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic tools
- Ability to perform routine maintenance and troubleshoot problems on equipment
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and federal and state regulation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with heavy hand tools, and previous work in an outside environment preferred
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR CREDENTIALS:
- High school diploma or GED; or an equivalent combination of education and work experience a plus
- Valid driver’s license required
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) is a plus
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.