Perdue Foods is part of Perdue Farms, a family-owned company heading into it's second century of growth and innovation. With a goal of becoming the most trusted name in premium proteins, we create products for consumers and for retail and foodservice customers around the globe, while changing the way animals are raised for food.
The Food Safety Quality Assurance Manager provides leadership, direction and execution of all plant food safety functions to support the company's food safety goals and ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies. Ensures all products produced meet or exceed all customer, regulatory and company requirements as they relate to food safety. Directs the plant Food Safety department in selecting, developing and motivating food safety team members to achieve organizatonal goals. Acts as plant authority on all food safety matters and work in conjunction with the plant QA manager and staff to ensure product safety is always maintained. Position requires some cross functional skills with QA manager and will assist QA supervisors in decision making when needed in the absence of the QA manager.
Principal and Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages all activites of the Food Safety department in a manner which results in consistent food safety results as measured through the company matrix and regulatory mandates.
- Develops, documents and implements food safety processes and procedures to ensure product safety is always monitored and maintained.
- Leads all food safety and regulatory efforts at the plant.
- Enforces the company's food safety standards as outlined in the plants HACCP, LCP, Salmonella/Campy standards and other programs. Maintains the required documentation.
- Serves as the catalyst for leading continuous improvement through technology and scientific research in an effort to take the plants food safety program(s) to the next level.
- Provides leadership and is an active member of all project teams to ensure food safety concerns are addressed at assigned plants.
- Maintains open communications with corporate QA, plant management, sales and marketing staffs to ensure each are aware of any potential food safety related concerns with product or product requirements and specifications.
- Develops a professional working relationship and acts as a plant liaison with USDA staff.
- Develops staff through appropriate mentoring and continuing education efforts. Ensures the company's food safety programs are properly communicated and plant associates have a working knowledge of the programs through training and mentoring.
- Provides timely, accurate and relevant data and analysis to plant and corporate management.
- Bachelors degree or higher in the area of poultry, meat or food science.
- 3 - 5 years experience.
- Experience in a HACCP, QA or food safety supervisory role.
- Good analytical and both oral and written skills.
- Experience in further processing may be required.
- Must have or complete certification status as Certified Food Safety Manager or equivalent.
- Knowledge of poultry and food processing principles.
- Understanding of management principles and team concepts.
- General knowledge of plant functions, i.e., production, maintenance, warehouse, shipping and sanitation.
- HACCP certified and very strong HACCP and regulatory skills.
- Previous experience as Food Safety manager in poultry processing environment.
Environmental Factors and Physical Requirements
Position is mostly sedentary but may require occasional moving to other offices or buildings.
When in a plant environment: Exposure primarily consists of wet and moist floors which include metal and plastic grating surfaces.
May be exposed to temperatures of 28 degrees to 100 degrees Fahrenheit with both ambient and 100% humidity. May handle product 25 degrees to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. May be exposed to noise ranges of 50 db. to 110 db.
May be exposed to all chemicals used in poultry, food, processing facility.
Must wear and use protective and safety equipment required for the job as directed by the Company.
Perdue Farms, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.