Perdue Foods is part of Perdue Farms, a family-owned company heading into it's second century of growth and innovation. With a goal of becoming the most trusted name in premium proteins, we create products for consumers and for retail and foodservice customers around the globe, while changing the way animals are raised for food.
The Director of Safety Management is responsible for directing and providing safety oversite to the Perdue Premium Prepared Food division. The position oversees development and implementation of behavior safety practices, audit functions for safety procedure implementation, ensures compliance with corporate, OSHA, USDA, NFPA, DOT, any PPF customer safety requirements, and conducts root-cause analysis of health and safety incidents. The Director of Safety Management monitors and documents the effectiveness of safety control measures used throughout the division’s operations and directs the Prepared Foods safety staff in the implementation of the Perdue Foods Safety Program. The position will manage the development of site specific safety risk management plans for remediation and other Prepared Foods capital ventures.
This individual will sit within easy travel distance to our FP locations, ideally in Southeast Georgia or Concord, NC.
Principal and Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Works closely with the President of Premium Prepared Foods, SVP of Prepared Foods Operations, VP of Human Resources, Prepared Foods and Perdue Foods Corporate, Sr. Director of Safety and Security to cultivate the Perdue Foods Safety Culture.
2. Provides safety and occupational risk management leadership to the Premium Prepared Foods Division, its managers and employees.
3. Serves as the corporate safety subject matter expert when working with OSHA, USDA regulators and Prepared Foods staff, on any safety related projects, regulatory responses or audits/inspections.
4. Manage all safety related staff and resources in accordance with departmental budgets. When necessary in conjunction with Talent Acquisition recruit the division’s safety staff. Work within the Corporate framework to foster the career growth of the division’s safety professionals.
5. Serve as the Prepared Foods Division’s primary point of contact to the Corporate Health & Wellness, Corporate Security and Perdue Foods Corporate Safety departments. Responsible for establishing and maintaining working relationships with all division personnel, directors of operations, facility management personnel & team leaders, state regulators, contractor representatives and associates.
6. Leads and conducts corporate occupational safety and health audits, submit executive summary reports along with their corrective actions to ensure that all assigned sites are following all Company and regulatory standards, programs, and processes in the areas of safety, health ergonomics, workers’ compensation/loss control and property protection.
7. Create and effectively manage site safety plans and best practices to achieve all Corporate safety goals and metrics. Evaluate, develop and implement new safety regulations as required.
8. Serve as internal safety incident manager as required, ensuring that all safety and occupational risk emergencies and injuries are properly managed.
9. Ensures that an effective safety orientation and ramp-in is delivered to all Premium Prepared Foods newly hired employees at all levels.
10. Works to ensure an effective behavior-based safety program exists throughout the Prepared Foods Division’s operations.
11. Represents the Prepared Foods Division at all industry safety conferences, Corporate meetings and committees pertaining to Safety.
12. Regularly publish the division’s safety results and each location’s performance against previously establish goals and Corporate metrics.
13. Other work projects or assignments may be given as business needs dictate.
Minimum Education & Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Industrial Health Management or a related field, plus 10+ years’ experience in manufacturing safety management. Certified from the Board of Safety Professional (CSP) or the American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH). Must possess a valid driver’s license and US passport. A master’s degree in Environment, Safety & Health is highly preferred but not required.
- Industrial and food safety health knowledge
- Thorough knowledge of OSHA requirements
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent grammar and writing skills
- Strong supervisory skills, particularly supervising off-site personnel
- Proven ability to lead and influence others. Ability to establish positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to effectively manage and motivate employees and communicate objectives and action plans.
- Ability to research pertinent facts, data and other information from internal and external sources
- Proficient use of computer and corresponding programs – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OHM, SAP.
- Ability to implement behavioral-based safety techniques to improve/maintain safety performance.
- 40-hour HAZWOPER certification and current annual 8-hour HAZWOPER refresher.
- CPR/First Aid certification or willingness to obtain
- Ability to speak English, plus Spanish and/or French
Perdue Farms, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.